My Honest Review of My eShakti Dress

 Saturday, July 25, 2015

In October of 2012, I received an email about a company that described themselves as a "fresh concept in custom clothing." The company, eShakti, offered to send me a free custom-made product. It sounded too good to be true, so I thought the offer was spam and never looked at it again.

Now fast-forward to a couple months ago. I started realizing that the clothing I was buying was "perfect... but" meaning that I was always wishing that I could slightly modify the on-the-rack styles at my favorite stores. "How great would that dress be with a scoop neck instead of the v-necklne?" "Ahh.. I wish this dress was about two-inches longer so I could wear it to work?" Sound familiar? So I started looking online for custom made dresses. I ended up finding a lot of online sites that claimed to make copies of famous designs. Those sites all had sorts of terrible reviews. Actually, I would suggest google-ing "custom made fail" if you'd like to get a good laugh...


Not exactly what that customer wanted


Yet, with all of my searches, I did find one store that had positive reviews. eShakti. Since my email in 2012, this "fresh new concept in custom clothing" has expanded their product line and come out with some really cute styles. I absolutely love the mission statement: "eShakti believes that all women have the right to wear affordable fashion that is made for them and makes them look their absolute best." Because of that statement a lot of girls can find solace in finding the perfect garment from sizes 0-36W.


I noticed that a lot of bloggers had the opportunity to review a product from the site, so like any advantageous 20-something I decided to reach out to the company to see if I too could review a product. eShakti responded and let me pick out something to review. I researched past blogger's reviews and decided to not choose something with an elastic waist back and to choose one of the more classic styles because the trendier cut pieces were more hit or miss. 

I decided to go with this dress:



I chose a simple black dress hoping that I could wear it to work and just have it in my closet. Since moving to NYC I've been trying to acquire more black clothing pieces. 

The way eShakti works is that every item is fully customizable (some styles more than others). You can chose your size and height or put in custom measurements. I actually find that Im a standard size so I chose that size and went with a 5'2" height (I'm between 5'2" and 5'3"). I changed the sleeve length to 3/4 sleeves (my favorite) and I chose the above knee length. I thought it was funny that there was a free option to remove pockets. Who would ever remove pockets from dresses? I'm of the belief that pockets are like the best thing ever.

Two weeks later, I received notification that my dress had been shipped and my dress took another week and a half before it was on my doorstep. 3 1/2 weeks for a custom made dress really wasn't so bad, but it certainly came slower than something off-the-rack. 

Now on to my review (and I promise this isn't sponsored- they are my 100% honest thoughts):



The dress is made of a thick jersey knit. I am so so pumped that it is machine washable. There is nothing I hate more than paying tons of money to dry clean something or having to hand-wash a dress that didn't cost enough to be worth the time. 




The stitching on the dress is top quality and I like the side zipper. 


Here you can see the dress on me. I am so glad I did not go with anything longer. Yes this is above the knee length but I feel like it's still a little longer than I would like. Overall the dress fits me well and I will definitely be wearing it. The waist hits at the right place and this is a go-to style for me. It's super useful and now that I know the quality I might go with something a little more "fun." I also might choose a dress that allows you to choose the neckline. I have no problem with the sweetheart but I might choose a boatneck or a square instead (this neckline is a bit low for work).



The biggest disappointment? The pockets! Who would have known! The pockets are huge which sounds like a great thing in theory but the extra fabric adds weight to the dress and makes my hips look larger than they are. 

Overall

The good:
  • Machine washable! 
  • Quality of fabric/ stitching
  • Customized for you
The bad:

  • Pockets. Don't add them unless you want the extra fabric and weight.
  • Wait time (but its understandable due to the nature of the garment)

Would I order again? I already have! I am now an eShakti girl! Honestly the site always has sales (think first-time coupons, and clearance blow-outs) and for $40-50 for some of the sale styles its ridiculous not to try out the custom made frocks. I haven't yet placed an order for separates but since dress pants are so hard for me I might take the plunge. 

I honestly think eShakti is a great site for the right customers. In order to be successful and love your eShakti products, you need to know what flatters your body. Certain cuts are probably not going to work for you no matter how well they are fitted to your body. For me, I know that I need to nip in my waist and that I look terrible in drop-waist and styles that aren't fitted on the back. My other tips? Be detailed if you decide to go with the custom sizing. Don't be afraid to reach out to customer service if you're not satisfied. They actually do accept returns and can help you determine why you didnt like your garment and how to fix the problem for future purchases.

I now follow all of their social media pages: Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. I especially enjoy reading reviews and seeing the products on real people on Tumblr. Its amazing to see all the different customizations of the same dress!

23 comments:

Lauren Douglass July 25, 2015 at 1:56 PM  

I'm so glad that this worked out! When I read the title, I thought it was going to be a negative experience, but I'm glad it wasn't! The dress looks great!

Lauren | The Arizona Prepster

Mary Balandiat (Nuts 4 Stuff) July 25, 2015 at 2:47 PM  

I think that you look great in this dress, but I do agree that pockets on the sides can make you look bigger even when you are not. I noticed that same problem on my own body with shorts.

http://nuts4stuff.blogspot.com

Amanda Parker July 25, 2015 at 3:41 PM  

This dress looks amazing on you! I'm a sucker for a dress with pockets too so I wouldn't be able to resist them no matter how they make me look.

xoxo,
Amanda
trulyyoursa.com

Alyson Cruse July 25, 2015 at 8:14 PM  

I really thought this was going to be a negative post, but I'm so glad it wasn't! You looked great in the dress by the way! I know how it feels to have trouble finding a dress that fits just right. I'm 5'1" and dresses are either too long on me or too big even in a small size. I'll definitely be checking out this site!
XO Alyson | mylifeasalyson.blogspot.com

Annaliese July 26, 2015 at 1:53 AM  

I am a big eShakti fan and just reviewed one of their dresses (for the second time!) on my blog last week. :-) Glad it worked out for you!

xoxo A
www.southernbelleintraining.com

Julie Tucker-Wolek July 26, 2015 at 8:12 AM  

When your FIRST comment about wanting pockets and who wouldn't --- I am like ummmmmmmm ME???? LOL!! I would NEVER have pockets in a dress ---- I am Italian (so already HAD hips to begin with! LOL!) and I have had 3 kids ... soooooo even MORE hippage added there ... so I would NEVER choose pockets on a dress, cause I don't need more hips!! HA!! :) The dress looks cute on you!!! I like the neckline!!!!!!

Patricia July 27, 2015 at 5:01 AM  

Find your blog so great, 
pretty pictures and beautiful colors.

Ninawe August 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM  

good post! like you blog!

Anonymous,  January 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM  

What were the shipping charges? Negative reviews are reporting huge additional shipping fees.

Janice Lunes January 28, 2016 at 8:00 AM  

Hi Love

What a cute dress! Hihi pockets who would have known indeed but super handy though :P

Just wanted to stop by and let you know that’s I’m back in the blogsphere :p

Missed checking out your blogs and now have time to browse through them all again :)

Hope you will stop by to check out my new posts!

Happy Monday!

Xxx

Getting Green Fingers!
FIT&FAB REVIEW
JOIN MY BLOGGER NETWORK

Erin Tierney March 20, 2016 at 2:29 PM  

I have looked high and low for a company that is made-to-measure, affordable, and more classic styles than trendy. Eshakti seems to fit the bill and happy to read your post. At first thought it was going to be a negative experience based on your title, but relieved that it was not. As for pockets, I am not a fan unless they are back pockets on jeans. Like pleats, another automatic "make you look fat" accoutrement, pockets do the same thing and I have sewn many a pocket shut on shorts and slacks. Definitely ordering form Eshakti.

Taylor Pearce May 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM  

This post was so helpful! I have always been scared to order anything from websites such as this! I'll have to give that one a try! Love your blog, so cute!

http://preppythoughtsandpreppytalk.blogspot.com

Hera Gratton June 16, 2016 at 5:09 AM  

You always look amazing with skirt.
Shop Best yet Cheap homecoming dresses

Unknown July 15, 2016 at 1:38 AM  

I'm glad to read about your positive experience! I ordered my first eShakti dress a few days ago and tonight read about a friends anonymous online custom horror story! I was feeling less confident about my yet to be seen purchase.
The biggeat thing I keep in mind while shopping, and you are very wise to have mentioned it, is which styles compliment your shape and which do not. No amount of custom sizing can make a drop-waist dress or hip ruffles look good on a pear-shaped woman.

Unknown July 15, 2016 at 1:40 AM  

I'm glad to read about your positive experience! I ordered my first eShakti dress a few days ago and tonight read about a friends anonymous online custom horror story! I was feeling less confident about my yet to be seen purchase.
The biggeat thing I keep in mind while shopping, and you are very wise to have mentioned it, is which styles compliment your shape and which do not. No amount of custom sizing can make a drop-waist dress or hip ruffles look good on a pear-shaped woman.

Clarette York November 16, 2016 at 3:44 AM  

Try to wear the long sleeved bodycon for this will be perfect to you!

Asim Shaikh May 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM  

i love reading this article so beautiful! great job!
Eid Collection 2017

Ayesha Khan June 21, 2017 at 6:50 AM  

The Korean drama serial in HD result. HUA JAI CHOCOLATE EPISODE 14 HD video available. One of the best dramas in Korean. The public is giving some. Wrote a subtitle in Episode 7: The Fierce Wife almost 3 years ago. Spanish El Maestro le ayudará definitivamente en coche. Dramacool - Drama online | 1mobile.com - site over 1500 Series Drama episodes and hottest site Asian Drama up to date with our website Catch the hottest. See Tweets site #dramacool on Twitter. See what people are saying and join the conversation. Download Dramacool.com Videos Jun 21, 2014 - 21 Jun 2014. Download Dramacool.com Videos on site Steps. Copy the page URL of your favorite video from www.dramacool.com. Paste the page.
Dramacool.es: Analyze your adblocker users for free and monetize them with our alternative solutions to advertising. WordPress and Drupal plugins available! Dramacool. Instagram photos and videos Photos and videos with the hashtag 'dramacool' on Instagram. DramaCool addon for site and Kodi and XBMC – SuperRepo. Mar 2, 2017 - site Kodi Addon DramaCool: DramaCool. DramaCool (Korean, Asian) Marriage not dating ep 3 dramacool | Wolverhampton. Because marriage not dating ep 3 dramacool. Want to stop that at some point, i would.
Take his girlfriend, so prepare to be bombarded with emails. Dramacool - Put xat chat group on your page. Dramacool: Put xat chat group on your page. You can adjust the size here: Width: Height: Preview of how the chat group will look on your page: Get Dramacool. In response to multiple complaints that we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed the site videos and 3 results from this page. If you wish, you may site the DMCA complaints that caused the removals at LumenDatabase.org: Complaint, Complaint, Complaint.

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! Tell me what you think of this post. I like to comment on every blog that comments on mine!

The Preppy Student. Powered by Blogger.

Back to TOP